Saturday, July 31, 2010

M's Week 4: The Good, The Really Bad, and the Slightly Obsessive

What a strange week it's been! I discovered water aerobics last Thursday night, and went to class Saturday morning, Monday evening, and Thursday evening. I also got up and went to the gym to do 30 minutes on the elliptical on Monday morning, and I had a crazy hard workout with Maddie on Friday morning. Oh, and I swam laps on Saturday afternoon and Tuesday evening. So apparently we're starting off with 'the slightly obsessive' part of my week. I am becoming obsessed with earning Activity Points. How crazy is that? This, the laziest of all people ever, is now going to the gym sometimes twice a day. Huh?! We'll see how long this lasts--but it has been fun! I'm thinking about taking kickboxing next week, and I'm really interested in trying out Zumba, too. The Zumba classes aren't at a great time, though, so I don't know what I'll end up doing about that.

So, on to the bad part of the week. I'm realizing that I'm not eating right, and I'm not eating enough of the good stuff. I'm staying within my Points values, but I'm not making great food choices. I really, really need to work on adding in fruits and vegetables. I am going to make an effort to eat at least one fruit and/or veggie every meal this coming week. Maybe that will help keep me from getting these stupid headaches. I think my biggest problem with them is that everyone keeps saying that they help to fill you up, but I've never really noticed that eating an apple or an orange or a salad really has that much of an impact on my hunger levels. I'll give it a try this week and see what happens.

Last night was terrible. I had a headache all day, which I now realize was from not drinking enough. However, I thought maybe it was because I was hungry, so after dinner, I ate everything I could get my hands on. Dinner was a Lean Cuisine pizza. I followed that up with a cupcake from the grocery store. (Kroger now sells single cupcakes, but check this out--there was too much icing and I ended up throwing about half of it away. That counts for something!) Then I ate a little single-serving cup of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. Surprisingly, what used to be my all-time favorite ice cream wasn't that good anymore. However, I didn't realize it until I was finished with it. Then I moved on to 2 of the 100-calorie packs of chocolate covered pretzels, and 1 of the Ritz cracker snack mix. I wrapped it up with a small bowl of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup because I still wanted ice cream. When I finished that, I realized I was out of control, and I made myself stop. The lesson I learned here was that when I do this to myself, I feel miserable. I was over-full, and I felt awful. I'm so embarrassed sitting here writing this, but this is accountability in its finest form.

Now, for the good. There's a lot of good. Even though I'm still not eating like I should be, I have cut out so much bad stuff it's incredible! With the exception of last night, no more nightly ice cream (sometimes x2), no more fast food (although I will cop to having my first Quarter Pounder in almost a month yesterday for lunch), no more eating out every single meal. I'm drinking a lot more water, which is great. I quit drinking soda over 2 years ago, but I still never drank enough water. Now I'm feeling pretty well-hydrated, and I'm glad I'm making progress there! I'm looking closely at menus to make healthier choices, and I'm taking my food choices one meal at a time. If I have a bad meal, then it's okay--back on the proverbial horse with the next one. After last night's insanity, I got right back On Plan today, and have eaten only at meals.

I'm down 2 more pounds for a total of 8 so far, and I'm super-proud of myself. Tomorrow I'm planning on going to the gym, either for cardio or kickboxing. I may swim some laps, too, but I haven't decided yet. My mother and brother are coming down on Tuesday for a couple of nights, and I'm making them go to the gym with me Wednesday morning. We can go out to dinner on Wednesday night, but I'll be smart about it. And every other meal we eat here will be healthy!

So, here's to a great week for both of us. I know you're on the road this week, so I'm sending good vibes your way. I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

Mxx

No comments:

Post a Comment